Friday, April 15, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of Homemade Ice Cream and a Taco Bus

Let me start by saying that yes I have had an interesting life and I hope that it continues and I guess that this is the next evolution of the 40 something species "Learn to Share Your Life (or at least part of it) with anyone and everyone and hope that it is now interesting enough to sell advertising (JK).  I consider myself a foodie which of course means that I am a chef wanna be and I harness that energy by attempting a gourmet dish here and there for my wonderful wife and hopefully one day wonderful son (at 2 1/2 his pallet isn't ready for daddy's cooking) and that hopefully it is appreciated.

On the other side, one of my favorite things to do in the world is eat. We absolutely enjoy going out to new places and finding the little known or very well known culinary gems where ever we go. I find it very interesting that our travel life has now become so centered around the culinary/gastronomy part of life. We are always looking at what Chef (from Top Chef) has a restaurant here or there, hell I even have an app on my I phone that tells you where the top new chefs restaurants are.

I will attempt to blog a few times a week and who knows maybe it will be more I guess that will be based off of my exploits in the Kitchen and abroad.  I am currently in the throes of trying to create homemade ice cream sandwiches for a cook out tomorrow. Wow! I had no idea that Haggen-Dazs went through so much to make one of those little itty bitty pints that I LOVE SO MUCH (Favorite was called Mayan Chocolate but they angered me and discontinued it). So far I have the makings for Chocolate and either French Vanilla or Strawberry so we will see. I will keep you posted after tonight when I attempt to create the frozen goodness after a few glasses of wine.

The other thing is after almost 5 years Katie and I finally made it down to the Taco Bus! Wow! Now I can say I have finally had good, authentic Mexican  Hillsborough Avenue and 275 means its not the greatest neighborhood but when the cops are eating there safety and your car become a non issue. While I ordered Katie actually struck up conversation with a couple from NY who had literally just gotten off of a plane and came straight there. She asked if we could share a table, as seating was going fast and they happily agreed. I had the Chicken Mole and she had a couple of Pibil Taco's. As I said before it was awesome! Not bad considering that they really do cook in the Bus! Open 24 hrs makes it a very successful late night drinking crowd place but anytime of day you can get a great meal. So for my taste it gets a 4 out of 5 on the scale.

So, the Chocolate Ice Cream turned out great. I love the Ice Cream Attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. We will see how the Vanilla and Strawberry turn out in the morning.

Bon Appetit!

Patrick

1 comment:

  1. We shall see what comes of this..for the past few years I have become a bit of a foodie myself....

    Willis

    ReplyDelete