Friday, April 22, 2011

In Search Of The Elusive Loaf!

Today's post is a bit more reminiscing than it is about anything current. A couple of years ago Katie and I were victims of the recession. An original plan to take our new born son Gage to Dublin to have him baptised turned into a two and a half month journey around Europe. Actually it turned into Patrick and Katie ate Europe. I think we both gained at least 15 lbs and thank goodness that we were walking all over places like Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Florence, Barcelona and Paris because without this bit of exercise I shutter to think what would have been the outcome.

(Some of my future Blogs will include pictures and some of the stories from our train/car journey across Europe)

Anyway, the main reason for today's blog is the lack of pure artistry that seems to be in the US or at least quite a large chuck of it when it comes to the art of baking a great baguette. Now I am not saying that in certain cities, certain restaurants that I have not had a good loaf of bread but I am talking as a whole I truly feel like "Oliver Twist" saying "Excuse me Sir Can I Have Some More", but replacing it with, "Excuse Me Sir Can I have a good one". It seemed that no matter what city Katie and I were in, finding good bread was not a problem. Especially in places like Florence and Rome, all over Spain and of course anywhere in France. Hey you can say that they are rude but they can bake a baguette.

I was watching one of my favorite shows the other day, Tony Bourdains, "No Reservations" and it was a rerun when he was back in Paris and he was at  Le Grenier a Pain.  This place actually won the best Baguette competition and I could see why. 4 am in the morning and there was a line out the door.  I am willing to say that there has never been a line out of the door at Publix or Sweetbay the two Grocery Stores here in Town. Katie and I ate at "The Refinery" last night (review to come in another blog) but there was a great Cuban bakery across the street and they definitely have a handle on the Cuban Bread and the Guava pastry's but we continue to look for the elusive Baguette.

When Katie and I were in Paris with her mom we had decided to go to Notre Dame and luck would have it they were having a Baguette Baking Competition. I was in heaven. A Baguette, some stinky Cheese and a bottle of Water for 3 Euros. Now that's what I am talking about.  It seemed that anytime you saw a normal French person walking through the streets with that beautiful, long, brown piece of loveliness under one arm or in hand with bits being torn off, eaten as they walk. What a great Lunch/Breakfast/Dinner that is.

So, I come back full circle and I continue the search around Tampa for my Baguette. Hopefully one Day I will find it but until then it's Hispanic cousin the ever ominous Cuban Loaf (along with a couple of friend eggs and some bacon) will have to be my South Florida Substitute.

PS.  My hats off to the Mauricio Faedo Bakery for one fantastic Cuban Loaf and great guava pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment